To support Sunterra’s objectives for growth, innovation, production, and retailing of superior quality pork products, we are seeking an experienced Payroll Manager with excellent interpersonal and communication skills, along with an engaging and professional manner, to effectively drive and deliver outcomes for the organization and further develop a culture that promotes the vision and values of Sunterra. This exciting opportunity will be an excellent fit for an individual looking to work in a fast-paced, innovative, and forward-thinking environment within the agri-food/food manufacturing sector and will allow an effective and passionate person to shape this role to their strengths.
The successful applicant will be responsible for managing the payroll functions for all Sunterra Group companies and will work at the corporate head office located in Acme, Alberta.
Duties and Responsibilities:Working collaboratively with members of the senior management team, the successful candidate will be responsible for, but not limited to, the following activities:
• Provide leadership, planning, and direction to payroll team, including coordination and allocation of workloads, managing staff performance and oversight of operations to ensure accuracy and timeliness of payroll and related financial information
• Complete full cycle payroll accounting, including coding, journal entries, account reconciliations, bank reconciliations, and year end tax-related processes
• Reconcile payroll and benefits related accounts, and prepare and complete remittances
• Support senior leadership in providing and interpreting payroll information required for decision making and budget preparation
• Provide practical advice and consult with senior management with respect to labour standards (e.g. overtime, hiring, terminations etc.)
• Work with external audit team to prepare and provide reporting, files, and paperwork necessary for the annual audit process
• Lead process improvement initiatives such as time-tracking software implementation and identification of payroll system efficiencies
• Administer short-term and long-term disability claims and payments
• Develop, refine and maintain payroll policies and liaise with human resources managers to develop employee policy handbooks with the goal of creating a consistent working environment across all operations
• Oversee the continuing education of payroll team members and create a positive, supportive working environment
Qualifications:• Payroll Compliance Practitioner and/or Certified Payroll Manager designation (Canadian Payroll Association)
• Post-secondary education of a bachelor’s degree or diploma in Accounting, Human Resources Management, or similar, is an asset
• Five or more years’ progressive experience in payroll processing, including experience at a management or supervisory level
• In-depth understanding of accounting practices including reconciliations, year-end preparations, journal entries and general ledger reporting
• Knowledge of employee/labour relations, onboarding, and performance management.
• General knowledge of employment-related legislation with the ability to interpret and apply provincial and federal legislation as it relates to payroll.
• Excellent analytical skills; proven strategic planning skills and ability to be hands-on as and when required
• Excellence in achieving multiple priorities and meeting deadlines in a timely fashion
• Strong oral and written communication and presentation skills, using a variety of software applications and online tools
• Ability to work equally effectively in team-based environments as well as on tasks, which require high levels of sensitivity, confidentiality, initiative, autonomy, and independent thought and action
• Comfortable working with individuals across all levels of the organization
• Ability to collaborate, facilitate, and independently manage complex, sensitive situations
• Highly motivated, energetic, organized, and goal-oriented with the ability to work in a fast paced, team environment
• Ability to learn and stay current across employment standards legislation
• Ability to mediate resolutions to problems to improve organizational effectiveness
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Requests for additional information about the role may be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.